The Vikings were a fierce, strong, and very interesting people from the Northlands. Here are some great resources to help you teach your children more about them.
- Viking Lesson Plans from the Viking Network Ireland – Five lessons about vikings, longships, sagas and settlements.
- Time Warp Trio: Vikings – based on the TV Show, Time Warp Trio, lesson plans about the main characters’ adventures in the viking period.
- Primary History: The Vikings from BBC – lessons, activities and games about the vikings, including teacher resources.
- Vikings: Sea Raiders, Land Raiders from Discovery Education – for grades 6 – 8
- The Vikings from PBS.org – Lessons and resources.
- Viking Lesson Plans from CoreKnowledge – PDF lessons about the Vikings, mostly for 3rd grade. Includes Leif Ericsson, discovering how they are misunderstood, their contributions to history, sagas, and more.
- Vikings Co-op Lessons from HighHill Homeschool – what one group did week by week to teach their kids about vikings.
- Exercises from the Viking Ship Museum – lessons and activities related to viking life and times from the ship museum in Norway
Worksheets, Notebooks, and Lapbooks
- Viking Adventure Lapbook from Homeschool Share
- Viking Lapbook from Tina’s Dynamic Homeschool Plus
- Me and the Vikings Venn Diagram by Heather Carlsen
- Viking Exploration of North America by Ami Alvis
- Viking Runes Worksheet by Mikal Staley
- You Wouldn’t Want to Be A Viking Explorer Questions by Tinker’s Thinkers – questions about the book with the same name.
Crafts & Activities
- In the Art Room:Viking Ship Collages from Cassie Stephens – a creative art project for students in grades 3 to 5 ish.
- Paper Dolls from Practical Pages – men and women paper dolls with period clothing. Scroll down to find the link to each.
- Tissue Box Viking Ship from Crayola
- Cardboard Viking Shield from Deceptively Educational
Online Games & Activities
- Viking Quest – online game where you make the decisions behind a raid.
- Viking Time Tunnel – toss the items that don’t belong into the time tunnel
- Thorkel and the Trading Voyage – help Thorkel make some great trades
- Odin’s Challenge – Think you know everything about Vikings, mythology, and their sagas? Take this very difficult test and see if you can beat Odin.
- Jorvik Viking Centre – an in-person Viking village in York, England. Online resources include the option for a virtual visit through Skype, and printables such as colouring pages, information sheets and other activities. Site has lots of detailed information about “who were the Vikings.”
- Vikings: The North Atlantic Saga by the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History – based on a travel museum exhibit, includes an interactive viking voyage, teachers’ resources, and more.
- The Vikings Answer Lady – A comprehensive information website about the life and times of the Vikings
- Clothing the Viking Age – detailed information about the clothing for men and women
- How to make Viking Musical Instruments – how to make pipes, whistles, drums and horn bugle
- Viking Recipe Book
- Heritage Minutes: Vikings
- Horrible Histories: Vicious Vikings
- Horrible Histories: Literally – a Viking Song. – a soft rock viking ballad
- The Vikings : Documentary on the Life, Culture, and Legacy of Vikings – a multi- hour documentary [I haven’t watched the whole thing, so I am unsure of it being completely kid friendly.]
- The Viking Sagas: BBC
This post is part of a challenge that will blog through the alphabet over 26 weeks – hosted by Ben And Me. This is letter V. Feel free to join in yourself, or see what other people are blogging about!