Kids love getting things addressed especially to them in the mail, and so monthly subscription boxes are a great way to combine learning and fun with the thrill of getting mail. Here are 5 terrific subscription box companies.
This post contains affiliate links.
1. Little Passports : This company offers a monthly box delivered in the format of a package from two fictitious characters on an adventure around the world (or the US – depending on the package you choose.). The starting kit comes with a little mini suitcase for your child to keep their monthly treasures in, a world map, and intro letter. Each following month has a postcard and activities based on a new country, as well as some online bonuses and goodies. It is a great way to learn about other cultures and communities, and spark their interest in geography. (I wrote a post about how to expand it to do a fuller world geography experience.)
New for 2016, Little Passports introduces Science Expeditions , a monthly subscription that sends your child a kit full of scientific fun. Solve science mysteries, do experiments, and feed your child’s natural curiosity. Designed for kids ages 9+. We’ve been reviewing it this year and have had SO much fun with it. Check out our review here: Science Expeditions.
Where to Buy: Little Passports Website
Cost: World Kits & USA Kits are $12.95/month or you can buy a year’s subscription and lower the cost to $11.95/month. Early Explorers Kits are $15.95/month, or only $13.95/month with a year’s subscription. Science Expeditions are $20.95/month or a year for $17.95/month. Shipping to Canada is an additional $4.50/month. (US$)
Age Range: Ages 5-10. Early Explorers is for 3 – 5 year olds. Science Expeditions is for 9+.
#2. Curiosity Box : Canadian. This monthly activity box is filled with 3 crafts and an activity plus everything you need to complete them (including instructions!) based on a theme for the month.
Where to Buy: Curiosity Box Website
Cost: Single boxes cost from $26.50/month. Subscribing ahead helps lower the cost – a year’s subscription lowers it to $24.50/month. Sibling add-ons are available at an extra cost.
Age Range: Ages 3 – 7
#3. My Funvelope. Canadian.
“Each month your child’s craft subscription will include four pre-packaged crafts and activities with easy kid-friendly directions. It will also include one STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) activity kit focusing on making learning a fun hands-on experience. Everything they need to complete the crafts will be included! Even the glue, markers, and scissors!”
Where to Buy: http://www.myfunvelope.com
Cost: $18/month (Free Shipping in Canada!)
Age Range: Ages 3-9
4. Brick Loot. Have a LEGO fan in your house? This is the box they need! A monthly box of LEGO related theme-centred goodness.
“You will receive a Brick Loot box filled with LEGO and brick related items. We search high and low for the newest, coolest and most outrageous items you will not find at your local toy store. All items are hand picked by our LEGO loving team and sure to leave you with a BIG smile.
EACH BOX MAY INCLUDE: (BOXES ARE A SURPRISE EACH MONTH SO ITEMS WILL VARY)
- Exclusive Brick Loot LEGO Minifigures
- Custom Build with LEGO Bricks (Instructions and pieces) in EVERY BOX
- LEGO Accessories
- LEGO compatible products
- The newest brick items in the market
- Exclusive Brick Loot items you can not get ANYWHERE else!”
Coolest of all? This company was started by a 9-year-old boy named Parker (who is now 13 years old).
Where to Buy: BrickLoot Website
Cost: Individual Monthly Boxes are $27US, or subscriptions can lower it down to $24.95US / month. Shipping to Canada is $13/month.
Age Range: Recommended for ages 6-99.