Kids love getting things addressed especially to them in the mail, and so monthly subscription boxes are a great way to combine learning and fun with the thrill of getting mail. Here are 5 terrific subscription box companies.
This post contains affiliate links.
1. Little Passports : This company offers a monthly box delivered in the format of a package from two fictitious characters on an adventure around the world (or the US – depending on the package you choose.). The starting kit comes with a little mini suitcase for your child to keep their monthly treasures in, a world map, and intro letter. Each following month has a postcard and activities based on a new country, as well as some online bonuses and goodies. It is a great way to learn about other cultures and communities, and spark their interest in geography. (I wrote a post about how to expand it to do a fuller world geography experience.)
New for 2016, Little Passports introduces Science Expeditions, a monthly subscription that sends your child a kit full of scientific fun. Solve science mysteries, do experiments, and feed your child’s natural curiosity. Designed for kids ages 9+.
Where to Buy: Little Passports Website
Cost: World Kits & USA Kits are $12.95/month or you can buy a year’s subscription and lower the cost to $11.95/month. Early Explorers Kits are $15.95/month, or only $13.95/month with a year’s subscription. Science Expeditions are $20.95/month or a year for $17.95/month. Shipping to Canada is an additional $4.50/month. (US$)
Age Range: Ages 5-10. Early Explorers is for 3 – 5 year olds. Science Expeditions is for 9+.
#2. Curiosity Box : Canadian. This monthly activity box is filled with 3 crafts and an activity plus everything you need to complete them (including instructions!) based on a theme for the month.
Where to Buy: Curiosity Box Website
Cost: Single boxes cost from $26.50/month. Subscribing ahead helps lower the cost – a year’s subscription lowers it to $24.50/month. Sibling add-ons are available at an extra cost.
Age Range: Ages 3 – 7
#3. Nerd Block: Canadian. Unlike the other boxes above, this box isn’t about crafts or activities. It’s designed to fulfill the need of the inner nerd – with a monthly box full of random nerdy stuff related to gaming, movies, television shows, toys, etc. There are several different options of versions to choose from: the original Nerd Block, Nerd Block Jr. (one for boys and one for girls), Arcade Nerd Block, etc. Other than the Jr boxes, each includes a unique t-shirt every month.
Cost: All boxes are from $19.99/month (and include a t-shirt). Shipping costs are based on box chosen.
Age Range: Jr boxes are for ages 6 – 11. Regular boxes seem intended for 13+.
4. Creation Crate: Canadian. These boxes are perfect for the tech savvy, engineering-minded children in your life. They challenge you to use circuit boards, electronics, and computer programming to create a project each month.
We tried box #1 which was a mood lamp. It was a lot of fun, and completely challenging. Here is my review. Use the code below to get 10% off when you order your subscription.
Cost: Individual boxes cost $29.99/month, or you can order subscriptions which can lower the cost to $22.50/month. Please note that even though this is a Canadian company, their prices are in US dollars.
Age Range: The activities are designed for ages 12+ (and not just for kids!)
5. Brick Loot. Have a LEGO fan in your house? This is the box they need! A monthly box of LEGO related theme-centred goodness.
“You will receive a Brick Loot box filled with LEGO and brick related items. We search high and low for the newest, coolest and most outrageous items you will not find at your local toy store. All items are hand picked by our LEGO loving team and sure to leave you with a BIG smile.
EACH BOX MAY INCLUDE: (BOXES ARE A SURPRISE EACH MONTH SO ITEMS WILL VARY)
- Exclusive Brick Loot LEGO Minifigures
- Custom Build with LEGO Bricks (Instructions and pieces) in EVERY BOX
- LEGO Accessories
- LEGO compatible products
- The newest brick items in the market
- Exclusive Brick Loot items you can not get ANYWHERE else!”
Coolest of all? This company was started by a 9 year old boy named Parker (who is now 12 years old).
Where to Buy: BrickLoot Website
Cost: Individual Monthly Boxes are $27US, or subscriptions can lower it down to $24.95US / month. Shipping to Canada is $13/month.
Age Range: Recommended for ages 6-99.
Thank you to Little Passports for offering a 6 months subscription of your choice to one of their kits, including their new Science Expeditions.
- The prize is a 6 month Little Passports subscription.
- The winner may choose which subscription they would like (Early Explorers, World Edition, USA Edition, or Science Expeditions).
- Ages 18+
- Open to Canada & US, excluding Quebec. Void where prohibited.
- Please complete the entry below for your chance to win.