These days, computer skills are a must-have for our children. An important skill to learn is how to type quickly and properly. Here are some resources to help make learning keyboarding fun and easy.
- DanceMat Typing – Popular typing game by the BBC
- Upbeat – Guitar Hero style music game using ASD space and JKL only.
- Typing Chef – type words related to cooking
- Fun to Type -16 typing games like Typing Ninja, Clockworks, and Keyboard Climber I & II
- Learning Games for Kids: Keyboarding Skills – 21 games and tutor courses
- Free Typing Game – 10 different typing games like Keyboard Revolution and Spacebar Invaders
- Typing Test Games – 10 games like Keyman, Keytris, and Snake ABC
- Sense-Lang Games – Variety of games including Typing Race, Ninja Cat, Paratrooper Sheep
- SkyChasers & Typing Jets by Arcademics Skill Builders – multiplayer typing games
- Popcorn Typer on Room Recess.com
- Alpha Quick on Room Recess.com – How fast can you type the alphabet?
- Keyboarding Zoo | Keyboard Invasion | Keyboard Challenge | Retro Typer | AlphaMunchies on ABCYA
- Online Typing Games – a huge collection of typing games
- Rapid Typing Zone – large collection of games especially focused on speed
- Typing Adventure on HoodaMath – don’t get zapped!
Lessons, Tutors, and Courses:
- Typing Club – simple, easy to follow lessons for typing (can use as Chrome App)
- Power Typing – lessons for both QWERTY and DVORAK keyboards
- Keyboarding Skills Program by eLearning For Kids
- Keybr – a touch typing web application
- Free Typing Game – 30 typing lessons
- Sense-Lang.org – Lessons and Animated Tutorials
- Learn to Type At Home from Big Brown Bear
- Typing Camp – how one teacher runs a fun typing camp, including a typing chant and downloadable memory book
- Teaching Keyboarding to K-2 by Katie Ann ($3 download)
- Printable Keyboard by Glitter Glue and Pencils Too
- Keyboard Shortcuts Posters by L. Ramsey
- Practice the Keyboard Handout by Jen Laratonda
- Proper Posture Poster by Face the FACs
- Off-Keyboard QWERTY Colouring Page by Jen McCleskey
- Parts of a Keyboard Poster by Imaginative Teacher
- Teaching Keyboarding: More Than Just Typing – article on Education World
This post contains affiliate links.