High School is a time for youth to explore a variety of topics and experiences as they attempt to discover what things interest them for their future. It’s an opportunity to study topics beyond the basic core that might not have been covered yet or to get more in-depth with a specific subject. Here are some resources to help you plan out your high school electives.
In general, high school core subjects are math, English, science, and history/geography. From there, most of the other subjects a student chooses are considered high school electives. Credits are typically awarded based on the amount of work or hours completed – between 110 & 180 hours = 1 credit (depending on where you live). Below are some ideas of high school electives you can add to your school plans. Wherever possible, I’ve included links to some programs, courses, or resources that are available. There will be more than I have listed here so be sure to check your favourite homeschool curriculum providers to see if they offer any electives that I haven’t listed here.
- Christian content is marked.
- Canadian resources have a 🍁 symbol beside them.
- Please note: Although I’ve listed all Schoolhouse Teachers as “online” – courses are offered in a variety of formats. Some are video, some are print, etc.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Photography Learning Paths: Lynda.com. Online.
- Visual Arts Photography: Blyth Academy. Online. 🍁
- The Eye, The Shutter, The Light, The Colour: Introduction to Photography. Oak Meadow. Print.
- Photography Class: EarthSchooling. Online.
- Photography: Schoolhouse Teachers. Online. Christian.
- Interior Design
- Art History / Appreciation
- Drawing on History. Print or Digital Download.
- AP Art History: Khan Academy. Online.
- Art Appreciation: Easy Peasy High School. Online. Christian.
- The Master and His Apprentices. Print. Christian.
- God & The History of Art. Print. Christian.
- Art Appreciation: Tree of Life At Home. Print. Christian. 🍁
- Art & History Interconnected: Schoolhouse Teachers. Online. Christian.
- Homeschool Architecture. Online.
- Theatre Arts
- How to Write & Produce a Play: Schoolhouse Teachers. Online. Christian.
- Music Theory
- Music History / Appreciation
- First Aid & CPR
- First Aid For Free. Online.
- Culinary Arts
- Early Childhood Development / Education
- Family Studies
- Families in Canada: Blyth Academy. Online. 🍁
- Home Economics
- Personal Finances
- Foundations for Personal Finance: Dave Ramsey. Video. Christian.
- Personal Finances in Bite-Sized Chunks: Schoolhouse Teachers. Online. Christian.
- Building Your Future. Online.
- Financial Literacy From a Christian Perspective: 7 Sisters Homeschool. Digital Download. Christian.
- Personal Finance: Alison.com. Online.
- Driver’s Education
- Computer Science
- Computer Science Principles: Code.org. Online.
- Game Design
- Web Design
- Computer Programming
- Graphic Design
- Computer Repair
- Become an IT Support Technician: Lynda.com. Online.
- Audio Engineering
- Become a Recording Engineer: Lynda.com. Online.
- Sign Language
Rosetta Stone offers language lessons for many different languages.
- Plumbing Courses: Alison.com. Online.
- Landscaping & Horticulture
- Automotive / Mechanics
- Auto Upkeep. Print or Online.
- CrankinEngines. (Small Engine Repair) Print/Video.
- Auto Fundamentals: Christian Light Education. Print. Christian.
- Auto Upkeep: Christian Light Education. Print. Christian.
- Small Engine & Equipment Maintenance: Christian Light Education. Print. Christian.
- Small Gas Engines: Christian Light Education. Print. Christian.
Character and Skills For Home And Careers. Print or Digital Download. (Multiple Subjects)
Language & Literature
- Speech / Public Speaking
- Media Studies
- Literature From Different Countries
- North American Literature: Tree of Life At Home. Print. Christian. 🍁
- American Literature: Oak Meadow. Print.
- LIFEPAC American Literature: AlphaOmega. Print. Christian.
- British Literature: Tree of Life At Home. Print. Christian. 🍁
- British Literature: Oak Meadow. Print.
- LIFEPAC British Literature: Alpha Omega. Print. Christian.
- Creative Writing
- Veterinarian Science
- Forensic Science
- Forensic Illustrated. Online.
- Environmental Science
- Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology: Coursera. Online.
The most important word, in my mind, is the word “proactive”. In a nutshell, I think being proactive in many areas can help ensure success as you navigate high school at home. READ MORE.
- Homeschool Psychology. Online. Christian.
- Psychology: Oak Meadow. Print.
- Introduction to Psychology From a Christian Perspective: 7 Sisters Homeschool. Digital Download. Christian.
- Political Science
- Canadian & World Politics. Blyth Academy. Online. 🍁
- World Religions
- Advanced Apologetics: Schoolhouse Teachers. Online. Christian.
- Old Testament / New Testament Survey
- Church History
- Indigenous Studies
- Indigenous Canada: Coursera. Online. 🍁
- World Cultures
- Current Events
- Government Studies
- Classical Archaeology: Schoolhouse Teachers. Online. Christian.
- Team Sports
- Any physical sport activity – archery, martial arts, weightlifting, running, golf, swimming, etc.
- Career Studies
- Career Studies: Blyth Academy. Online. 🍁
- Career Study & Work Co-op Course: Tree of Life At Home. Print. Christian. 🍁
- Career Exploration: Schoolhouse Teachers. Online. Christian.
- Career Exploration: 7Sisters Homeschool. Digital Download. Christian.
- Career Studies: Virtual High School. Online. 🍁
- Designing Your Future: Virtual High School. Online. 🍁
- Hospitality / Tourism
- Tourism Studies: Alison.com. Online.
- Debate & Critical Thinking
Hopefully this list will give you some ideas of what you can learn during your high school years. Don’t feel trapped by the usual. When considering what to include as high school electives, consider your child’s interests and curiosity as well as their dreams and hopes for the future.