Teeth. They grow in, they fall out, they chew, they need to be brushed, they get checked by the dentist, and grow in again. Learning about taking care of teeth is important, especially since you need them for your whole life, so here are some resources to learn more.
- Oral Health Curriculum – from the Ontario Association of Public Health Dentistry. Lesson plans for K through 8 to co-ordinate with the government curriculum outlines for Ontario.
- Dental Health: Kindergarten Lesson Plans – from the Northwest Territories. 4 part lessons covering 2 sets of teeth, functions of teeth, oral hygiene, and good/bad foods for teeth.
- Dental Health: Grade 3 Lesson Plans – from the Northwest Territories. 4 part lessons covering tooth observations and functions, oral hygiene, dental workers, and dental disease.
- Let’s Brush Our Teeth – from Scholastic. A 3 part unit lesson on teeth, the dentist, and taking care of teeth for Grade 1.
- Smile Smarts Dental Health Curriculum – from the American Dental Association. A multi-module curriculum for Pre-K to 8.
- Teeth and Tooth Fairy Multi-book Theme Unit – from Homeschool Share. Based on 3 children’s books.
Worksheets, Notebooks, and Lapbooks
- Dentist Printable Pack – from RoyalBaloo. Includes free downloads for Math, Language, and a Dental Unit for kids ages 2 – 8
- Tooth Fairy Printable Pack – from 3Dinosaurs. For ages 2- 7, 65 page pack
- Tooth Fairy Pack – from Enchanted Homeschooling Mom. Pre-K – 3. Language, Math, and Science Printables
- Dental Lapbook – from The AnnaMatrix
- Dental Health Printables – from About.com. Includes word puzzles, colouring sheets, and diagrams.
- Bright Smiles: Printable Materials – from Colgate. Storybooks and resources related to Dr. Rabbit & the Tooth Defenders
- Dental Health Mini-Book – from Teaching’s a Hoot
- My Healthy Teeth! A Dental Health Emergent Reader – from Sweet Sounds of Kindergarten
- Dental Health Literacy Centres – from Doodle Bugs Teaching
- How to Take Care of Your Teeth – from Susan Jones
- Dental Health Magnificent Mouth Worksheet – from Kate’s Classroom Cafe
- Dental Health Month Printables – from In All You Do. Colouring pages, copywriting, puzzles, and writing prompts.
- Free Dental Colouring Pages – from Children’s Dental Group
Crafts & Activities
- The Soda & Egg Tooth Brushing Experiment – from Our Montessori Home. Brush off some stained eggs and see what happens!
- Happy Tooth, Sad Tooth Collage – from A Teaching Mommy
- Egg Carton Brushing – from Teach Preschool. Using egg carton bumps to teach about how to brush teeth.
- How Dentists Fix a Cavity Activity – from Meet Penny. Egg carton, a drill, and tin foil. Great visual.
- Learn to Floss Teeth with Playdough – from Study at Home Mama
- Dental Unit – from Every Star is Different. Montessori inspired learning centres and activities. Scroll to the bottom of the page to access a free printables pack for her activities.
- Lost Tooth Pillow Craft – from DLTK Kids. Make a pillow to hold your lost tooth.
- Toothbrush Painting – from Momto2PoshLittleDivas
- Smile City – from the Canadian Dental Hygienist Association. Includes games, activities and tooth tips
- Mouth Healthy Kids – from the American Dental Association. Includes articles and resources for kids.
Online Games & Activities
- Teeth Games for Kids Online – from Colgate. Games separated into age groups 2-4, 4-6, and 7-9 years old.
- Visit the Dentist with Marty – an interactive digital storybook. (Audio starts as soon as you load the page.)
- Dental Games for Kids – word searches and puzzles, matching games, and more.
- Plackers Kids Club Dental Games – includes games like Plaque Attack, Matching game, and colouring sheets.
- Apple Smiles – a marshmallow smile snack
- How to Brush Your Teeth Properly for Kids – from My Kids’ Dentist
- Meet the Colgate Bright Smiles, Bright Futures Tooth Defenders – a cartoon about the adventures of Dr. Rabbit and Dr. Brushwell
- The Dental Defenders – from Crest.
- The Adventures of Wiggly Tooth – from Colgate (1991).
- The Toothbrush Family
Books & Toys (affiliate links used)