There is something especially alluring about the study of Ancient Egypt. The grandness of the Pyramids. The Mysteriousness of such a wise and interesting civilization. Mummies. Tomb hunting. Pharaohs. If you are looking to study Ancient Egypt, here is a collection of resources to reference.
- Ancient Egypt – from Open School BC. A 9 part lesson series including assignments, etc. (Just ignore the send in requests.)
- Egypt’s Golden Empire – from PBS Educators. An 8 part lesson series. (The main website has lots of great resources, like a virtual library, etc)
- Online Theme Unit: Egypt – from Scholastic. Includes 5 mini-lessons about Mummies, Pyramids, Gods & Goddesses, Heiroglyphics, and general Ancient Egypt.
- Teacher’s Guide: Ancient Egypt – from Discover Kids. A multi-activity lesson plan (need free membership to access)
- Time Warp Trio: Ancient Egypt – based on the TV Show, Time Warp Trio, lesson plans about the main characters’ adventures in the ancient Egyptian period.
- Egypt Unit Study – Grades 1 to 3. From Royal Baloo.
- Ancient Egyptian Art Lessons – from Arty Factory.
- Who are the Ancient Egyptians, Who are the Egyptians, and Who Am I? – a Grade 7 lesson about the effects of media on identity from Multicultural Canada.
Worksheets, Notebooks, and Lapbooks
- Ancient Egypt Lapbook on Homeschool Share
- Ancient Egypt Lapbook – links and resources to create your own Egypt lapbook.
- 3D Ancient Egypt Lapbook – from Practical Pages.
- Ancient Egypt Notebooking Pages from Activity Village
- Ancient Egypt Notebooking Pages from The Mommy Writer
- Flashcards, worksheets, notebooking pages & matching game – from Primary Treasure Chest
- Egypt Pack – from 3 Dinosaurs. Designed for Pre-K to 1
- Egyptian Hieroglyphic Alphabet Reference Sheet – from Scholastic.
- Ancient Egypt Definition Cards from Reference Parent
- Maps of Ancient Egypt – printables
- Ancient Egypt Worksheets – from History for Kids
Crafts & Activities
- Make a Mummy Case – from the Royal Ontario Museum
- Egyptian 3D Fact Pyramid – from Crayola
- Pharoah Mask – Paper Mache craft from DLTK
- Egypt Colouring Page from Activity Village – design a death mask and sarcophagus, maps, and colouring pictures.
- Ancient Egypt Paper Dolls from Practical Pages
- Apple Mummification
- Egyptian Papyrus Paper Craft – from Crayola
- Make Canopic Jars
- Make an Egyptian Reed Boat – from Creekside Learning
- Make Egyptian Collars – from a Grade 5 art project
- Write Your Name in Hieroglyphics – from the Royal Ontario Museum
- Eternal Egypt – a detailed reference website with virtual environments, animations, maps, timelines and much more.
- Ancient Egypt – from the British Museum. Great resource wesite.
- Coffin and mummy of the lady Djedmaatesankh – Images from the Royal Ontario Museum – See the intricate art designs and the CAT scan images
- Virtual Tour of Ancient Egypt – See inside the Great Pyramids, around the Sphinx, and other key places from PBS NOVA
- What Makes a Pyramid? – From Wonderopolis
- Ancient Egypt Online – a detailed reference website
Online Games & Activities
- Make a Mummy – follow the steps needed and make a mummy from the University of Chicago
- You Wouldn’t Want To Be An Egyptian Mummy – based on the book with the same name
- Mummy Maker – Get trained as an apprentice and learn to make a mummy
- Explore Ancient Egypt – from Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery. Games and interactives about Egypt, pyramids and mummies.
- Discover Ancient Egypt – games about clothing, landscape, tomb exploring, and more from the National Museum of Scotland
- Tomb of the Unknown Mummy – use the clues to figure out whose tomb it is
- Exploring Ancient Egypt – a documentary tour of various sites.
- Ancient Egypt: Crash Course
- Horrible Histories: Egypt
- The Mummification Process from the Getty Museum
- Ancient Egypt Cartoon
Books & Toys