What is it about homeschoolers and our addiction to office supplies? I’m just as guilty – I might have a slight obsession. That’s why having the opportunity to go shopping with Staples Canada really excited me. They have everything! Time to feed the addiction.
Here’s five office supplies we use all the time in our homeschool.
1. Pens & Pencils : Having good quality writing tools makes all the difference when you have your kids sitting down to work. There is nothing as frustrating as trying to work and having your pencil keep breaking, or your pen stop writing. Thankfully, Staples Canada has a huge selection of both pens AND pencils to choose from. (Make sure you get a good quality pencil sharpener too – trust me. It makes a world of difference!)
2. Binders. I *might* have a small love affair with binders. I can’t help but feel organized when everything is in a binder and easily findable. I use them for just about everything in our home- household accounting, keeping important documents for committees I’m on, my blogging plans, writing down ideas, etc. For our homeschool, I use them for lesson plans and have even given them to my kids to keep their notebooking pages and the year’s work together. I love that binders come in a huge variety of sizes and colours – making it even easier to be organized.
3. Label Maker. Ok, so – not that long ago I thought label makers were so cheesy and seriously wondered why people used them. Then I got one. I completely take back everything I ever said before. Labelling things MAKES ME HAPPY! Labelling shelves and bins has helped create ownership for my kids of their homeschooling books and belongings. Plus, it keeps everything much more organized and easy to find.
4. Printer Paper. My printer is my homeschooling lifeline. I use it so much (and when I thought it was broken the other day, I just about cried! Ack!). At all times, I keep a stack of printer paper under my desk, ready to refill the printer.
5. Day Planners. I love dayplanners. My personal preference is to use a monthly planner so I can see the whole month at once. They keep my life organized. I just bought one to keep track of my lesson plans and also all the extracurricular things that are out there in our community – free art days, woodworking classes at Home Depot, library events, etc. Using highlighters, I’m colour coding all the things I’m writing into the day planners.
The boys and I recently went shopping at Staples and could easily have filled up multiple carts if I let the boys pick out whatever they wanted. It was hard to reign them in! Apparently, they love We ended up getting a new pencil sharpener (because the one we had just wasn’t cutting it anymore), a heavy duty stapler which we have been needing for a while, and some other stuff – including our new favourite item…. the EASY button. It’s hilarious to slap the button after doing something and having a voice say, “That was easy!” hehe.
I also wanted to share with you something extra special for homeschoolers in Canada that you can get at Staples – Canadian student workbooks that cover all sorts of subjects and flashcards, plus a teacher selection of goodies. Check them out!
Staples offers both in-store shopping and online shopping too. That makes me extra happy. I like when the mailman brings me goodies. Hehe. Visit www.staples.ca for more info (and to check out what they sell.)
What are you favourite office supplies for your homeschool?
Disclosure: I was given money to shop for this post, but that in no way influenced my opinion or love of Staples or office supplies. Everything I post is always my own opinion and completely honest.