Teaching kids about how their bodies work and having the discussions around sex and reproduction is an important, though sometimes challenging, task. Here are some sex education resources to help you with this series of lessons:
- Teaching Sexual Health – created by Alberta educators and health professionals, this website includes complete lesson plans for Grades 4 – 12, including some in French, which cover topics such as puberty, reproduction, relationships, anatomy, abuse, STIs and more. There is also a parent portal with other great information and printables.
- SexEd Library – a resource site compiled with links to lesson plans sorted by subject. Each lesson is marked with a target audience, summary, estimated time needed for a class, and when it was made, along with the appropriate link.
- SexualityandU – created by The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada, the teacher resources section of this website includes webquests for students in grades 4 through 12, PowerPoint lesson plans, PDF files, and more, on a variety of subjects related to sexual education. Again, a parent section is also available to help give you ideas on how to speak to your child.
- The Healthy Sex Talk: Teaching Kids Consent from Ages 1-21 – Suggestions for age-appropriate discussions and guidelines to teach the concepts of consent and respect.
- Sex Education Resource Center – from the Advocates for Youth. Resources intended for sex educators, including links to all kinds of resources related to the subject.
- The Talk – a 7 lesson Bible-based Christian sex education unit study aimed at kids who are ages 6 to 10 that covers anatomy, conception, intimacy, abuse, and development of human life during pregnancy.
- Sex Ed – from the designers of The Talk, this blog has a lot of great posts about talking to kids about sex and other sexual health topics from a Biblical point of view.
- Fully Alive – the Catholic School curriculum & lessons related to sexuality, relationships, and family, for grades 1 through 8.
- Focus on the Family Resource List – a PDF file with recommended Christian resources: books, DVDs, websites and more.
Resource Websites for Teens:
- Sexetc.org – this site is By Teens, For Teens. Very open and blunt information and discussions about sexual topics, a forum, videos, and other resources.
- Scarleteen – Sex Ed for the Real World. Q&As, a message board, detailed articles on many subjects, and other resources for teens and young adults.
A free 3-part video series for Christian parents about the how, why, and when of sex education. From the designers of The Talk. Watch the video below for more details and sign up for the series.